Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Hurley Record...Joke, Genius, or Jackassery?


For all their recent stupidity, Weezer still holds a special place in my black, dead, angry, brutal heart. Maybe it's remnants of The Blue Album leaving its ring of residue, changing how I looked at "indie rock" forever. Maybe it's the pop-shit stains from songs like "Island in The Sun" and "Hash Pipe" off of The Green Album. It could be the funny-faggotry of songs like "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived". Or it could just be "El Scorcho", who knows? Either way, I've come this far, cataloging each Weezer release, cringing more and more, with a big ironic hipster grin after each release, and now, after fucking Raditude, we get the next big stupid fucking thing from Weezer; HURLEY.

This is why I still get Weezer albums, to see how hard Weezer will try to prove that they don't care anymore. For those of you who don't know, Weezers new album set to drop this year titled Hurley features an album cover just with Jorge Garcia's face, who played Hugo "Hurley" Reyes for several years on the EPIC TV show, LOST. That's it, no title, no font, just a big, goofy fucking picture of the loveable fat fuck from Lost. Turns out folks, this wasn't the first possible title, according to Cuomo, "Heavy Mental" and "Smaller Than Life" were the other possible gems he thought up before settling on Hurley.

"I just loved this photo of Jorge Garcia -- it just had this amazing vibe. We didn't want to do a fourth self-titled record and we knew people would refer to it as 'the Hurley record' even if we left it without that title, so we just called it 'Hurley.' No words are on the cover because all we wanted was his amazing face." Says comedic genius/frontman Rivers Cuomo. I love that shit, "Amazing Vibe", it's just a weird, off-set photo cropped from when he met Jorge Garcia, holy fuck. The best part of this debacle of an album is that Rivers Cuomo doesn't even watch Lost, he didn't start until meeting Jorge Garcia recently, and is only on season two.

With song titles like "Where's My Sex?" and "Unspoken" I can only hope for another exercise in comedy like Raditude, and I will still sit along, with my headphones pressed to my ears, lapping up whatever Weezer gives me drink, as I'm sure it will either be the joke, the genius, or the asshole "fuck-you-listeners!" I've come to expect and strangely love from Weezer. Hurley drops September 14th, a few days before my birthday, thank the lord. - Matt Galey

2 comments:

  1. great! all the songs better be about LOST haha jk... maybe

    ReplyDelete
  2. rivers cuomo's ass don't watch lost

    ReplyDelete